Revised April 30, 2018.
- What information is collected by NAPT or third parties through our site or services;
- How NAPT uses this information;
- With whom NAPT may disclose this information;
- What choices are available to you as a user of NAPT services with respect to collection, use and distribution of the information;
- What types of security procedures are in place to protect the confidentiality and integrity of information under our control; and
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
NAPT is Not a HIPAA Covered Entity or a Business Associate
IF YOU ELECT TO REGISTER FOR ACCESS TO CERTAIN SECTIONS OF THE SITE OR SEND MESSAGES TO US USING THE LINKS ON THIS SITE, NAPT MAY RECEIVE CERTAIN PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION, SUCH AS CONTACT AND IDENTITY INFORMATION (E.G., E-MAIL ADDRESS, MAILING ADDRESS, AND PHONE NUMBER) AND INDIVIDUALLY IDENTIFIABLE HEALTH INFORMATION (COLLECTIVELY, “PERSONAL INFORMATION”). BY SENDING PERSONAL INFORMATION TO US, YOU ARE PERMITTING US TO SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH OUR STAFF, HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS AND OTHER THIRD PARTIES. TO THE EXTENT THAT YOU HAVE PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT YOU DO NOT WANT SHARED WITH OTHERS, WE ASK THAT YOU NOT SHARE SUCH PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH US.
NAPT IS NOT REGULATED BY THE PRIVACY AND SECURITY RULES PROMULGATED UNDER THE HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT OF 1996 (“HIPAA”) BECAUSE NAPT IS NOT A HEALTH CARE PROVIDER OR HEALTH PLAN AND DOES NOT STORE INDIVIDUALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION ON BEHALF OF HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS OR HEALTH PLANS. INSTEAD, WE PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY AS A GENERAL USER OF OUR SITE, AND NOT AS A PATIENT SEEKING AND/OR RECEIVING MEDICAL CARE FROM A HEALTH CARE PROVIDER.
Data Collection Technologies
When you provide personal information to register for access to certain sections of the Site or send messages to us using the links on this Site, the information you provide to us will be collected and stored on NAPT’s servers and used by NAPT to respond to your messages and provide you content through the Site. Also, when you visit the Site our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website, such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address, browser type, or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, pages of our website and the Site that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you search for on our Site, access times and dates, and other statistics (collectively, “Usage Data“). Through this Usage Data we also learn which areas of the website receive the most visitors and areas that may need improvement.
Cookies and Web Beacons
We may also occasionally use web beacons (also known as clear gifs, web bugs, 1-pixel gifs, etc.) that allow us to collect non-personal information about your response to our email communications, and for other purposes. Web beacons are tiny images placed on a webpage or email that can tell us if you have visited a particular area of the Site. We do not collect any Personal Information with a web beacon, and do not link web beacons with any other Personal Information you have given us.
How We Respond to “Do Not Track” Signals
Some web browsers have “Do Not Track” or similar features that allow you to tell each website you visit that you do not want your activities on that website tracked. At present, the Site does not respond to such “Do Not Track” or similar features and consequently, the Site will continue to collect information about you even if such “Do Not Track” feature is activated.
Disclosure of Your Information
Unless we receive your explicit permission, NAPT will not sell, rent, or share any information to or with any third party not affiliated with or owned by NAPT, with the following exceptions:
- Responding to You. NAPT may disclose information, including Personal Information, with third parties so as to help us respond to communications you send us through the Site.
- Posts. Any information you provide for us to post on our Site is public. We cannot control the use of information disclosed through our Site. Exercise caution when disclosing information to us for posting in these public areas, and be careful what Personal Information you disclose and how you disclose it. Content posted on our Site, including advice and opinions, represents the views of the individuals who post that content and such individuals bear sole and exclusive responsibility for the posting of that content. NAPT does not necessarily endorse, support, verify, or agree with any content posted on our Site.
- Agents and Contractors. In order to provide you with the services on the Site, we may disclose your information to our agents, contractors, or service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as incentive fulfillment, web hosting, or data storage. These third parties may also collect information on our behalf.
- Use and Disclosure of Aggregate Information. We may share aggregated information that does not include Personal Information, and we may otherwise disclose non-identifying information and Usage Data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling, and other purposes. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personal Information.
- Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement.We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including, but not limited to, subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of NAPT or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, any illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
- Business Transfers.We may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our assets to a third party in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy. In such event, your Personal Information may be transferred to that third party.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of the Personal Information transmitted through our Site or by email. Any transmission of Personal Information to us is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any security measures contained on the Site. At your discretion, you may contact us instead using the mailing address or telephone number listed at the end of this document.
Links to Third-Party Websites.
We may offer you the opportunity to access third-party content, services, or products by linking to a third-party’s website. If you click on a third-party link, you will be directed to that third-party’s website. We do not exercise control over third-party websites and are not responsible for the privacy practices of such third parties. We recommend that you check the privacy policies of third-party websites before providing your Personal Information to them.
Notification of Changes
The National Association for Proton Therapy (NAPT)
8400 Westpark Drive, 2nd Floor
McLean, VA 22102
Phone: (202) 495-3133